Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Friday, August 18, 2006

The hills have eyes, or an eye for an eye.

One of my very closest friends is a Palestinian American. He and I have known each other for almost 20 years. He travels to the Middle East for business and pleasure, and to see his family a few times a year. His opinion of the Palestinian refugee crisis is that the refugees left in the camps are a village people and many are hill people. Of course among ethnologists it is known that the people that live in the hills of any country are different than the lowland peoples. Often the hill people are fierce fighters. Think the Scottish Highlanders, a la Brave Heart. Think the Montanyards in Vietnam and the hillbillies in the US, like the Hatfields and the McCoys. Village people are slow to change their ways. Often isolated from the more citified lowlanders, they stick to the folk beliefs and are distrustful of outsiders, they have intermarried for hundreds of years. An eye for an eye is one of their most deeply held beliefs. They are quick to take offense and carry grudges forever, often through generations. It is a cultural trait. So, the Palestinian refugees in the camps cling to their old ways, isolated from the rest of the modern world, clinging to the hope of return to their land. The are perpetuationg their close minded village mentality.

2 Comments:

At 6:47 PM , Blogger John Doe said...

It could be worse; we Mediterranean people can have two mentalities, little-village citizens and Latin, at the same time. Very dangerous. This is me. All Spanish, Mediterranean, rustic virility! I could conquest again all Latin America for the Cross and the Spanish Crown!!! Give me nuclear weapons!!! Yes... mmm... I could... if I would want to, of course... but now I am tired. Perhaps tomorrow.

I live in a short hill with a Arabic castle in the top...

 
At 8:27 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

I grew up at the bottom of a very steep hill in Oakland. I guess that makes me a lowlander. You take the low road and I'll take the high road and I'll be in Scotland afore ye. J. Doe are you writing yet? I miss you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home