Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Saturday, February 17, 2007

On boycotts and the Dixie Chicks

After I watched the Peter Jackson movie, Heavenly Creatures a few years ago, I decided not to read the Victorian mysteries of Ann Perry. During the making of the movie, reporters tracked down the identities of the killers involved. It came out that a very well known author, Ann Perry, while a teenager, aided in the murder of her best friend's mother. They beat the women's head in with a brick in a stocking. I vowed then that Ann Perry did not need my money or my patronage any longer. Her books are good and it's a sacrifice, but I am happy to make it.

Other than that I generally do not believe in boycotting things that give me pleasure just because I dislike an artist or business person's politics. I love the Dixie Chick's music. They are truly talented. I don't like Mick Jagger or Michael Jackson as people, but I love their music.

When I was young, my grandmother boycotted Israeli goods because she was against Zionism and mad about the partitioning of Palestine. At that time the Israelis made some very nice towels and bathing suits. I think I mentioned before that my grandma and I went to Cost Plus World Market one time and I bought some cookies there. When we got home my grandmother threw a fit because the cookies (wafers) were from Israel. That was my first experience with boycotting, although I had heard about the farm workers and the grape boycott and the divestment movement over apartheid in South Africa.

I have always thought that the left was the most dedicated of boycotters. There is no end to the products and stores they boycott. Wal-Mart. TV in general. Starbucks. Products that are tested on animals. Fur. They are the kings and queens of boycotters. Recently gay activists got a very funny Snicker's Super Bowl commercial removed because they felt it was homophobic. It was the opposite of homophobic if you ask me. Maybe they will boycott Snicker's now. Fools!

Anyway, I love the Dixie Chicks songs, "Cowboy Take Me Away" and "Earl." I saw them on Austin City Limits, years ago and fell in love with them. The thing is this. The former fans who boycotted the Dixie Chicks, had every right to do so. Making death threats is going too far, but I fail to see how those on the left, who support boycotts every chance they get when it suits their ideology can be surprised when those on the right follow suit.

I think many Black people might boycott the Dixie Chicks because of the name of their band.

4 Comments:

At 10:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My take on it is that I believe in free speech and Natalie can say whatever she wants to say but the fans are also entitled to feel the way that they feel. That's what makes this country free. If they don't want to buy the CD or play their music because of their political beliefs they are entitled to do so as well. That's the risk she took to bring politics into her work situation in front of millions of people to hear. I still love their music tho. As for me, I don't care what their political beliefs are one way or another. They are talented whether they are ashamed of President Bush or not, so I buy their music. My favorite new song of their's is "Easy Silence". Her voice is so incredibly beautiful. I only have one little complaint. I wish Natalie would be a little bit more mature when she accepts her awards. She sort of acts like a little teenager instead of acting poised on stage. She is a very beautiful girl but I worry that people may think that she doesn't have inner beauty. She could have thanked her husband on stage for sticking by her during these tough times or thanking her band mates etc... I believe you should kill people with kindness and show them your humility in situations like these, instead of acting like a brat the way that she did on stage at the Grammy's. It was kinda embarassing. Still love the music tho. I wish she would read these blogs about herself so she could get a hint about what folks think of her. I would if I was a celebrity.

 
At 11:43 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Yes she does have a beautiful voice. All three of them are talented musicians. You are right that the fans have the right to their feelings as well.

 
At 1:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my take: I don't agree with what Natalie said....but I also don't judge their music because of their politics. They are two seperate things. Natalie has the purest voice I have heard in decades. They are beautiful girls and very talented and sweet. It was her opinion. The fans also have a right to have an opinion as well. If you don't like them because of what they said, don't go to their concerts or buy their CDs and just give your opinion about the situation. That's how free speech works but the death threats were uncalled for and almost criminal. Taking their songs off of the radio was wrong too. I just bought their CD and their documentary. Their kids are on it and they are CUTE! So are all of their husbands! My favorite songs are: Truth No.2, Voice Inside My Head, Lullaby, Easy Silence, Top of the World, and The Long Way Around.

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

No their music should be judged on it's merits, that's why I listen to music, because I like it, not because I like the artist. If you are a bad musician I don't care how nice you are.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home