Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Chemical warfare!

One of the Mulitiple Chemical Sensitivity Disorder gals used to have to share a work table with another employee. One day MCSD received flowers from a relative. She put them on the communal table, which was split down the middle. When the other co-worker came back from lunch he saw the flowers on the table and commenced to sneezing. He moved the flowers to the MCSD's personal desk. Then the MCSD gal came back and moved them back to the table. The allergic employee told her to move them back to her desk as he was allergic to them. MSCD said, "These are not bothering you." "

"They are bothering me and you need to move them!" he said. She again refused. so he went to the cabinet and took down a bottle of WD40. He waved it in her face and said, "You are allergic to this. How would you like me to spray some in your face?"

She screamed "AHHHHHHH.... He's trying to kill me!!" and started running around the room weaving in and out between the desks as he chased her.

You may think that this was in fun. But it was totally serious on both of their parts. This is the kind of crap we had to put up with for years.

As I said before, my dad had life threatening asthma. So did my grandma. My uncle got out of serving in Vietnam by drinking a quart of orange juice before he went to his physical. He broke out in hives. My dad was allergic to everything. But he never talked about it, probably because he was embarrassed and felt it was unmanly to do so. I only knew that my grandma substituted for anything that had eggs in it when she cooked for my dad. My dad was so allergic to eggs that when he first married my mom, he had to go to the hospital because his throat swelled shut because my mom opened a box of angelfood cake mix (one of her favorite foods) and the powdered egg white flew through the air, and my dad breathed some in. My dad said he knew then that they were doomed, as my mom refused to quit making the cakes. Perhaps I have a lot of my mom's blood in me. I am very uncompromising, tis true.

One time my dad was fishing with his cousin and his cousin cooked some freezedried food that had peas in it. It was dark and my dad ate it accidently. Again, his throat closed. My dad was out in the woods and his cousin had to carry my 6'3 dad to the car and get him to a hospital. Sometimes my dad would joke that we put eggs in his food to try and kill him. After we ate, sometimes he would say he felt "Cold, cold all over." It was life threatening and yet he made jokes about it.

None of my relatives ever complained all the time, about every little thing or what they could or could not eat. This is in direct opposition to the people I have met with supposed MCSD, who will not shut up, as my blog commenters prove. They wax on about every time they ate corn or some such nonsense and every one of the most minute symptoms. They will talk about their phlegm on and on ad infinitum. I kid you not.

Now I do not dispute that people can get migraines from smells. I have twice in my life, once from a friend's perfume. I got in her car and the smell went up my nose and boom, I ended up crawling around on the floor. But I never told her she could not wear the perfume when she was with me. Another time the pipes started leaking at work and a very bad smell came out of the leaky water, the same thing happened. But I never saw that happen to the people claiming to have a reaction from the laminator or the WD40. They just felt dizzy, or my favorite feeling, "weird" they felt weird. Well, they are weird and so are we all.

2 Comments:

At 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get horrible headaches from the musty smell associated with attics and flea markets. Even my dad's car. But I deal with it. Aspirin and booze gets me through.

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Booze gives me migraines, Noah!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home