Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

You don't know what you got til it's gone

Jamel came over 2 weeks ago and showed me a new metal change box his grandma had bought him. He's 8 now and that seems to be the age where kids become interested in cool stuff and realize that the way to get cool stuff is to get money from grown ups. In other words they become greedy little shits. He had a lemonade sale last weekend and made thirty bucks. One lady gave him five bucks for a cup of lemonade and told him to keep the change. Now he wants to sell lemonade every day!

When he showed me the box, he pointed out a couple of rolls of pennies to me and spoke of his pleasure in rolling them. A dastardly idea came to me and I was unable to resist it. I have been collecting pennies for a few years now and did not know how to get rid of them. So I went into the kitchen and got a huge plastic bowl and proceeded to pour all my pennies, from every container in the house, into it. Then I gave it to Jamel. He could hardly carry it, it was that heavy. As he walked into his Grandma's cottage he told her I had given him the pennies. She yelped, "What?!" I cringed, but I was not really that sorry. A few days later he brought a few dollars rolled and asked if I would give him dollar bills instead. I guess he was a little tired of counting and rolling. I told him "No way! I don't want those damn pennies, that's why I gave them to you!"

Today Jamel told me he had finished rolling the pennies and had taken them to the bank. "They gave me $40.00," he said, "2 twenties!"

"What?!" I yelped.

5 Comments:

At 1:53 PM , Blogger Cooth said...

I'm curious - did he tell you how many hours it took him to roll them?

 
At 7:34 AM , Blogger ricpic said...

You gave the kid 40,000 pennies?!?!

 
At 7:36 AM , Blogger ricpic said...

Oops. I miscalculated. But 4,000 pennies is still a lotta pennies.

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

I think now that his grandma gave him some money too. It took him two weeks to roll them.

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Oh, and I have been collecting them for 7 years!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home