Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The myth of individualism

My co-worker came to my cubicle yesterday morning as she is wont to do when she wants to complain about the state of human beings.

She said something to the effect that she thinks for herself and is individualistic.

'You'd think so, I replied. We both like to think of ourselves as such. In reality we are not very individualistic. We are highly moralistic. We are considerate of others. We allow the elderly and blind to board the bus first. We follow the rules and laws of our government. We show up for jury duty. We pay our taxes. In actuality we are sheep. We recycle. We are hardly the anarchists we pretend to be. It's the guy cutting us off in traffic who's the real individualist"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home